Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Week 6 # 15 - Library 2.0

I read 2 of the articles and Rick Anderson's article on Libraries 2.0 is the one I want to comment on.
To a point, I agree with his assertion that we can't fill our shelves with "dusty" titles "just in case someone might need them." Space is a premium and we constantly have to weed in order to make room for newer materials arriving. If given enough lead time, we can interlibrary loan nonfiction materials for school reports. However most students wait until days [or hours] before an assignment is due. This accelerates the need for materials to be obtained now. Many teachers won't allow students to utilize the internet for research because the internet is so easily available. This leads to upset and disappointed students and parents when we can't hand them information/books on demand.

I agree with Mr. Anderson's comment about relying on customers' education. There are only 2 librarians at my branch and we can't possibly tutor everyone about internet or computer use. We help those we can and the branch manager has been offering occasional 1 hour introductory computer sessions. We do the best we can, but we rely on our website and databases to be user friendly so that customers can access the library from their home or work.

I agree with his comments that customers should no longer always have to come to us. I've been proactive with all ages of customers for quite awhile. I remember customers' reading preferences and often suggest new titles they might like or I also put holds on things someone might enjoy.

No comments: